Who doesn’t love a Mince Pie at Christmas? I consider every day in December that I don’t consume one, a massive failure. I’m going to share my favourite recipe with you so that you can make your own Ultimate Mince Pie.
Mr Kipling, eat your heart out…
Mince Pie Ingredients
- Plain flour (370g)
- Butter (80g)
- Lard (80g)
- Salt (Just a pinch)
- Water (chilly)
- Mincemeat (580g)
- Milk (just a touch)
- Icing sugar (for decoration)
You Will Also Need:
- 6cm Cutter
- 7.5cm Cutter
- Two trays of 6cm patty tins
What You Need To Do
- Start off by making the pastry. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and add the butter and lard. Now rub it all together until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Next add the cold water until it makes a dough that will leave the bowl clean. (Be careful to add the water slowly and a little at a time.)
- Wrap the dough up in cling film and then place in the fridge for 25-ish minutes.
- When the fridge time is up, roll the pastry out as thinly as possible.
- Then use the larger cutter to cut 24 rounds. Grease the patty tins and place a pastry round in the bottom of each.
- Next fill each to the top of the tin with mincemeat.
- Use the smaller cutter to cut another 24 rounds which will be the lids.
- Damp the edge with water and place a lid on top of each mince pie, then push round the edge to seal. Poke two small holes in each and brush each one with milk.
- Finally bake in a pre-heated over at 200° for 25-ish minutes (every oven is different, keep an eye on them!)
I hope you enjoy the Mince Pies and that you feast on a facefull of fantastic food this festive season.
Using your sieve to sprinkle a bit of icing sugar on top of your mince pies to finish them off!